The Wiesbaden Kurhaus, landmark of an elegant city, is surrounded by a lot of green, and splendid historical buildings. 12 rooms and parlors of varying size and style, several restaurants and the Casino are all assembled under one roof, adjacent to the theater colonnades with the State Theater of Hesse built in the baroque style. The old Kurhaus was completed in 1810 and is a classicist building with a central portico and side corridors with columns. The building was designed and built by the architect Christian Zais. The building was even praised by Johann Wolfgang Goethe, who enjoyed numerous stays in the Kurhaus. In the 19th century Wiesbaden gained more and more reputation as a spa town. The old Kurhaus was demolished in 1905 and the new Kurhaus found its architect in Friedrich von Thiersch. He built the new house for about 6 million Goldmark. The new, splendid building could score with the style of the neoclassicism and numerous art nouveau motives. Emperor Wilhelm II promoted the construction and himself came to visit every year in May. At the opening of the new Kurhaus he called it “the most beautiful Kurhaus in the world”.